Eggplants in a spicy Coriander sauce

This is another authentic Andhra recipe that I had tasted at a friends place long back. The fresh coriander leaves and ginger gives this dish a unique flavor, and the combination of silky, tender eggplants when paired with the fresh herbs can not go wrong.

The recipe below is adapted from here, but the only addition I made was that I added onions, and it gave a nice flavor as that is how I remember my friend making this dish.

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped length wise

2 long purple eggplants

2 cups fresh coriander leaves, chopped

3 to 4 green chillies (adjust according to your spiciness)

1" fresh ginger, chopped

1/4 tsp turmeric powder

Salt to taste

For tempering:

1 tbsp cooking oil

1/2 tsp cumin seeds

1/4 tsp cumin seeds

1/2 tsp urad dal

4 or 5 fresh curry leaves

Method:

1) Remove the ends of the eggplants, and cut them up lengthwise into about 1" pieces. Place the chopped eggplants in a bowl of salted water. This will help release the bitterness from the eggplants.

2) Take the chopped cilantro, green chillies, salt in blender and make a coarse paste without water. If you have a mortar and pestle, you can use that.

3) Heat oil in a skillet. When hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal and when it starts to splutter add the curry leaves. Fry it for a few seconds. Follow it by sliced onions, and fry it until translucent.

4) Drain the water from the eggplants, and add it into the skillet. Sprinkle turmeric powder and salt. Stir fry for a minute or two. Cover the skillet partially, and let the eggplants cook. You can sprinkle little water n between to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. When the eggplants are soft, add the coriander leaves paste, and mix well. Stir fry for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the fresh coriander smell emanates from the dish!!

Serve with rice or rotis!

Comments

Pushpa said…
I tried this once from some other blog but did not like it much.may be I should give this one a try.Eggplants are my favorite.
jess said…
Wow, this looks delicious, definitely bookmarking to make later!

jess
Quaintrelle
Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing, I think I will go home to try.



I like to play online game,such as RuneScape.I always buy the items online.So I am familiar with the safest and convenient way to buy RS Gold online.There are: http://www.rsgoldfast.com/