Coffee Cake with Crumb topping

I have no idea how I forgot to post this wonderful Coffee Cake recipe. I had baked this couple years ago when my parents were here visiting us. I always loved coffee cake in Starbucks, but since its loaded with sugar and calories, I always tend to stay away from it. The rich taste and the crumbly topping makes it a heavenly delight.

I got the recipe from Joy of Baking. I absolutely love this site, and anytime I have to bake something, this is the first web site I visit, as her recipes are always easy, and tasty! I have made some small changes to the original recipe. I did not have chocolate chips so I completely skipped it. I also reduced the quantity of sugar for the cake itself as I don't like it too sweet. And, in the original recipe, it calls for an electric mixer. I don't have one so I used my hand and whisked the ingredients. She also layered the crumb topping and the cake mixture in multiple layers, but I did not - I simply did only one layer, and it tasted heavenly!

Ingredients:

For the crumb topping

1 cup walnuts or pecans

1/4 cup light brown sugar

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tbsp all purpose flour

For Coffee Cake

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1/ cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter or spray a 9" pan.

2)For Crumb topping:

Place the nuts on a a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the nuts are fragrant. Be careful not to burn it. Once cool, chop it coarsely. Then, in a mixing bowl add the chopped nuts, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and flour. Mix well and set aside.

3)Now for the Coffee Cake:

a)In a bowl, add the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set this aside.

b) In another bowl, add the softened butter, sugar and beat well until its fluffy. This might take time if you are using your hand. Then, add the eggs one at a time, and continue to beat. Add the vanilla extract, and the sour cream/yogurt and mix well until everything is combined. Now, slowly add the dry ingredients (mentioned under (a)) and mix only until everything is combined.

4) Now, pour the cake batter into the greased pan (I used a glass dish, and it worked perfectly for me) and smooth the top portion with a flat spoon or spatula. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the batter.

5) Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Once done, remove from the pan, and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments