This is a very easy and simple recipe and always comes to my rescue when guests drop by or be it just another day, a crazy one. The sweetness from peas and the tanginess from the tomatoes blended along with onions simmered in spices makes it rich and a delicious gravy along side rotis or rice. I add a little cashew just to give it a little extra rich texture and flavor.
There are tons of of recipes and I am sure each one has its own unique taste. Below is my version:
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup diced potatoes boiled
2 medium size onions chopped(reserve about 4 tsp for tempering)
4 ripe tomatoes(chopped)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 " ginger chopped and crush it.
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 to 4 tsp cashew pieces
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp ghee or butter
1/2 tsp coriander cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp(or less) turmeric powder
1-1/2 cups of water
1/2 tsp kasoori methi
2 tsp chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste.
1. Heat oil in a heavy wok or a saute pan, and add fennel seeds, onions, ginger, garlic and saute till golden on a medium heat. (about 10 mins approx)
2. Now throw in the tomatoes and fry till its melts. Let it cool for some time and then grind to a smooth paste by adding cashew pieces.
3. Heat the same pan and add ghee and add the cumin seeds. When it starts to sizzle, add the reserved onions and fry till golden.
4. Add the onion-tomato mixture and keep mixing/frying on a low medium heat.
5. Add the turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, red chili powder and fry for about 2 minutes or so.
6. In a microwave safe dish, boil the peas with little water on high for about 5 minutes. If you do not have a microwave, then, boil it on the stove top until its tender.
7. Add boiled peas and potato pieces into the onion-tomato paste and mix well. Add enough water and salt and mix well until you get the right consistency.Cover and let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and kasoori methi and mix one last time. Serve hot with rotis.