Fish fry anyone?

This is a long awaited post and I am so happy that finally I am posting it; I can very well say that this is a continuation of my previous post. Fish fry is a favorite in my household. I am not a fan of it but I love to cook it for my hubby dear and family. I dislike the smelly part but out of my little experience I have seen that if the fish is fresh, then, it doesn't smell as much and its tolerable. My brother-in-law bought some fresh sea food. It was really fresh because it didn't smell bad and i was asked to try a bite and i found it tasty too. I learnt the below recipe from my sister's mother-in-law and she makes the best fish curry and fry. She had visited us few years back and hubby got some fresh fish and she made the best fish fry and curry for him and he was so happy that he said he never such good fish fry and curry in a long time. I believe the asafoetida and coriander powder in the marinade mixture makes the fish tasty and yummy. Also, marinading and letting it set overnight makes it suck in all that spice mixture and it will definitely not go wrong. As you can see in the picture, there are few Shrimp pieces too. We used the same spice marinade for shrimp and fried the same way as Fish.



Recipe follows

Ingredients:

1 lb fresh fish, tilapia or croakers cut into steaks(about 5 pieces roughly)

For marinade:

2 to 3 tsp red chilli powder(adjust accordingly)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1tsp tamarind paste or lemon juice

For frying:

Corn meal or semolina(suji) for breading
Oil for frying

Method:

1. In a bowl prepare the marinade - add salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, tamarind paste, asafoetida and few drops of warm water, make a thick paste and set aside.

2. Cut the fish into steak like pieces(as shown in picture) and clean thoroughly using salt(cleaning with salt helps remove the smell).

3. Add the cleaned fish pieces into the marinade and mix well until the spice mixture coats the fish. Set aside overnight. Before frying, check the salt and spice mixture and adjust it again if you think it needs more of it.

4. Heat a griddle and add few tsps of oil and coat the pan evenly. Bread the fish pieces with corn meal and lay on the pan. Drizzle few tsps of oil on the fish pieces and cook on medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes or until evenly cooked. Carefully, flip the fish and cook the other side again for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a flat spoon and serve as you please.

Comments

Anonymous said…
these are awesome vanhee.
AKA said…
Hi, came across your blog post as I was surfing blogpost. Just thought I'd share with you my remedy to remove the fish fry smell in the kitchen and house. I burn candles in the kitchen, and all adjoining rooms, and keep them burning till after I finish frying, eating and washing up. The candles can be scented, but even the plain ones work as well.

Annu
aka-randomsquiggles.blogspot.com