Vaali Bhuthi

Bhuthi is loved by everyone in my household. We prepare it quite often with Cabbage, Cauliflower, Mushrooms to name a few. I always buy spinach since its known for its health benefits. I usually make dal palak, simple spinach stir-fry with garlic, or Palak paneer, or sometimes ambat, another konkani dish made with ground coconut and tad bit of toor dal.

I had never tried preparing bhuthi with spinach until now. I had heard a relative mention it long back but never really made it. I had a big box of organic spinach sitting in my refrigerator. My parents are here visiting us, and so when I told my mom about Vaali bhuthi, she was all set to prepare it. It was very tasty. Some people make spinach bhuthi with cashews and it adds a nice flavor and makes it even more tasty. I did not add it this time since mine was a last minute decision so skipped it.



Ingredients:

1 pounds spinach, cleaned and chopped
1 medium sized onion chopped.
1/2 cup cashew nuts soaked in warm water Or boiled until done.(optional)

For masala:

½ cups of fresh coconut
5 to 6 fried red chillies (add more if you want it spicy)
¼ tsp tamarind concentrate
2 tsp Coriander seeds
salt to taste
oil for cooking.

Method:

1.Chop the spinach and onions and keep side.

2.Heat oil in a kadai or deep skillet and add the chopped onions and sauté till light brownish. Add the chopped spinach and fry until the it starts wilting about 5 minutes I would say.{You can add cashew nuts at this point]

3.Whilst the onions are browning, in a blender add in the coconut, red chillies, and tamarind & coriander seeds and grind all these ingredients with little water to a fine paste.

4.Add the masala in and little water; mix it all together so that the masala incorporates with the spinach. Cover again and cook further till the masala is cooked. Adjust the spice & salt one last time.

5.Serve with rice & Dali toy or rotis.

Comments