Now, when it comes to vegetable pulao, there are thousands of recipes out there. Pulao is an easy and tasty one pot dish. Whenever I am in a fix as to what to prepare and run out of ideas, be it a regular day or the days we have unexpected guests, Pulao always comes to my rescue. Everyone in my household loves pulao so i prepare it quite often. This is my Mom's recipe and its really good!
You will need:
2 cups basmati rice (washed and drained)
4 cups hot water(1:2 ratio)
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup vegetables -peas, chopped beans, chopped carrots
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp canola oil
2 bay leaves
4 tsp cashew pieces
Few strands of Saffron(optional)
Make a coarse paste of the whole spices using a Mortar and pestle:
2 cardamom pods
2" cinnamon stick
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp poppy seeds
4 to 5 green chillies
3 cloves of garlic
salt to taste.
1. Heat butter and oil in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed pan and add the onions,bay leaves and cashew pieces and saute till golden. [Adding salt to onion will speed up the frying process].
2. Now add the coarse paste and fry until the raw smell fades, about 5 to 8 minutes on a medium heat.
3. Add the drained rice and slowly mix until it is well combined with the browned onion - whole spice mixture. Fry for a 2 to 3 minutes. [Be careful that it doesn't stick to the bottom].
4. Add the vegetables and mix and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Pour boiled water(1:2 ratio), add salt and saffron strands and mix well. Check the salt and adjust everything as desired. Pressure cook for upto 1 whistle. [I pressure cook for 1 whistle and turn off the heat; this makes the rice grains separated and cooks evenly].
Serve with your choice of raita.