I am happy to be back in the blogging world after a long gap. Past few months have been so busy with travels and then getting settled. Also life in general has become busy now. I could hardly check my favorite blogs let alone posting recipes. However its good to be back. Now I make sure to click pictures of every recipe I make so that whenever I find time I can just type in the recipe, do a recipe post and there by make my blog look alive!
Back to the recipe.
Undi is a breakfast dish popular in the Konkani household. Growing up my mom made them quite often and usually served it with either Dalitoy, Mango pickle or Ravo(a thick syrup prepared using jaggery, cloves and black pepper) or any left over spicy dish. This is one such breakfast which is hearty and substantial with the wholesomeness of rice and coconut.It involves little bit of prep work which can be done ahead of time - that is if you plan on making Undi for breakfast or Brunch then prepare the Undi mixture previous night. Also the steamed mixture has to be cool so that you can make small balls (golf ball sized).
It is prepared by coarsely grinding white rice and coconut and then tempered with mustard seeds, few fenugreek seeds, urad dal and curry leaves, then mixed together on a medium heat/flame till the mixture forms into a solid dough. I often prepare this with cream of rice or Rice rava which is readily available in the Stores and use the frozen coconut- just pulse it in the blender for sometime and makes an Instant way of preparing it.
1 cups cream of rice.
½ cups of desiccated coconut
2 cups water(reserve ½ cup for blending the coconut)
3 tsp cooking oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp urad dal
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
6 to 7 curry leaves
1 tsp jaggery or sugar
Salt to taste
1. In a bowl of water soak the cream of rice for about 15 to 25 minutes, and then drain all of the water carefully. Set this aside.
2. In a blender add the coconut with about 1/2 cups of water and pulse it for few times until the coconut releases its milk.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan and when hot add mustard seeds, when they start sputtering add fenugreek seeds, urad dal and fry till its light brown, now add the curry leaves and fry for few more seconds. Be careful not to burn these.
4. Now add the grounded coconut mixture and the reaming 1 ½ cups of water. Add salt and jaggery and mix well until it comings to a rolling boil. You can add little more water if needed.
5. Add the cream of rice in and lower the heat and keep stirring til the water is evaporated and eventually this becomes like solid dough. Turn off the heat.
6. When it's cool enough take a spoonful of the rice mixture and form small golf ball sized balls and steam in a cooker for about 15 to 20 minutes Or if you have a Dhokla steaming vessel then place the Undi inside a pan and steam it.
7. Serve with any spicy dish Or Mango pickle.