I am making a come back in the blogging scene after quite a while now. Its been a long time since I posted a recipe. Things have been quite hectic and hence I was not able to devote much time to my Blog.
Eggplants and drumsticks form a very good combination, and when its simmered in luscious tomatoes its mouthwatering. This is a quick recipe and also the final outcome is satisfyingly good which is most important!
I have used the small variety of brinjals/egglants available at most Indian groceries and of course fresh summery vine tomatoes!
4 to 5 eggplants(small variety) cut into length wise pieces
½ medium sized onions chopped to length wise
2 to 3 medium size finely chopped tomatoes.
5 to 6 drumsticks
For the tempering:
1 tbsp Cooking oil
½ tsp Mustard seeds
4 to 5 fresh curry leaves
2 whole garlic cloves slightly crushed(optional)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp dhania jeera powder(coriander-cumin powder)
½ tsp red chillie powder
¼ tsp garam masala powder.
salt to taste
¼ tsp tamarind paste(concentrated)
salt to taste
A pinch of jaggery or sugar
3 to 4 strands of coriander leaves.
1. Firstly cut the eggplants into length wise pieces and soak them in cold water for about 15 minutes or so. Drain and set it aside.
2. Heat oil in a saute pan and add mustard seeds, when they start sputtering add the curry leaves followed by chopped onions and garlic cloves and saute till golden.
3. Now add the chopped tomatoes and fry till soft. Now throw in turmeric powder, dhania-jeera powder and red chilli powder and fry further till oil separates.
4. Now add the cut eggplants, drumsticks and about ½ cups of water, mix everything together. Cover and let it cook for about 10 minutes or till the eggplants are cooked through.
5. Finally add salt, jaggery/sugar, tamarind paste and garam masala powder and mix one last time and let it simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and its good to go with rotis or just plain rice.