Bell Peppers in a Tangy and Sweet Sauce
This is a very tasty dish which can be prepared with pineapple pieces too. It’s known as Gojju in Kannada, which is sweet and tangy dish made with tamarind and jaggery.
The sweetness and tanginess gives a very unique flavor which makes the dish very flavorsome and appetizing! I learnt this recipe from my sister its easy and also worth a try! Also this a very popular dish when it comes to special occasions, in most of the special occasions they make this dish with pineapple pieces. Again this dish is considerably sweet when compared to the regular dishes so adding good amount of spice, jaggery and tamarind will make it more authentic!
Here’s the recipe
1 medium sized green bell pepper (chopped into small pieces)
2 to 3 tsp cooking oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp tamarind concentrate
Salt to taste
4 to 5 tsp jaggery/brown sugar (add more if you want it sweet)
3 to 4 curry leaves
Fry & Paste:
½ cup coconut (dry or fresh)
3 to 4 red chillies (fried)
¼ tsp white sesame seeds
2 tsp urad dal
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
A pinch of asafoetida
1. Firstly heat a kadai/heavy bottomed pan, add the coconut and fry it until its toasted well and brown in color. Remove and set aside. In the same pan add the sesame seeds and fry for a minute or two or till golden. Set this aside.
2. Now in the same pan add about a tsp of oil and add the urad dal, turmeric powder and asafoetida and fry till the urad dal is brownish.
3. In a blender add the fried coconut, sesame seeds, urad dal and red chillies and grind to a fine paste.
3. In the same pan add the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds, when they start to sputter add the curry leaves and fry for a second or two.
4. Add in the chopped bell peppers and stir-fry on a medium flame for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add about ¼ cups of water and let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Now add the salt, tamarind & jaggery.
6. Add the masala paste and mix well, add little water if it’s too thick. At this point adjust everything. (Remember this dish is sweet & spicy so you might want to adjust the sweetness by adding more or less or to suit your taste buds).
7. Cook further for about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve as a side dish, yumm..!