Tomato rice is a simple and easy to prepare dish. There are endless recipes to make this tangy and wholesome dish. Using fresh juicy tomatoes will help enhance the taste of the dish. The sweetness and tanginess from the tomatoes makes the whole dish delectable and sharp. It’s a substantial meal in itself and can be served with raita & chips or pappads.
I prepare this quite often since hubby just loves it. I cook rice ahead of time and then completely cool it before mixing it to the tomato onion gravy. This helps the rice from becoming mushy in texture. It’s great for picnics, pot lucks or any parties!
Here’s the recipe
1 cups basmati rice
3 to 4 ripe tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium thinly sliced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
½ tsp garam masala powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder (add more if you want spicy)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander seeds
¼ cup water
¼ tsp sugar
Salt to taste
4 tsp ghee/butter
1 tbsp cooking oil
½ tsp cumin seeds or jeera
½ tsp mustard seeds (optional)
1 small bay leaf
½ inch cinnamon
½ tsp fennel seeds or saunf
3 tsp cashew halves (optional)
4 to 5 curry leaves or kadi patta
1. First up wash the basmati rice in 1 or 2 changes of water and cook till done. Make sure it’s not over cooked and the grains are separated. Cool it completely.
2. In a deep skillet heat ghee and oil, when hot add mustard seeds (optional), when it starts to sputter add cumin seeds or jeera, saunf or fennel seeds, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, curry leaves, cashew halves and fry for a minute.
3. Add sliced onions and sauté till they start to sweat. Add minced ginger & garlic and fry further for about 3 minutes or till the raw smell fades.
4. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and fry till soft & mushy. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder & garam masala powder, fry well on a medium flame.
5. Now add the salt, sugar & water, cover and cook for about 3 minutes. Let the water evaporate.
6. Finally add the cooked rice and mix carefully with a flat spatula. Check the salt and adjust accordingly. (I turn off the heat while I mix the rice) Make sure the rice and the tomato-onion mixture is blended well with rice.
7. Turn on the heat back, cover the lid and cook further for about 2 to 3 minutes. Finally garnish with coriander leaves
8. Serve along side cucumber & onion raita.