Potato Masala or in konkani Batate masala is nothing but a dry version of saung, at least to me, Why because ingredients are same except that there is no water added to make a rich gravy consistency instead here boiled potatoes are chopped to bite sized pieces and then added to the sautéed onions and mixed with all the spices viz., chilli powder, Sāmbhar powder and tamarind. My bapma(grandma) used to add a tsp of Sāmbhar powder and it really made it tastier!Goes very well with Rice and Daalitoy combo yet with rotis too! It’s easy to prepare and quick too, if you have boiled potatoes handy in your fridge this dish can be set in no time!
So here’s the recipe
3 to 4 medium sized poatoes
1 big or 2 small (nos) onion finely chopped
1 to 2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp Sāmbhar powder
¼ to ½ tsp tamarinds concentrate
Salt to taste
3 tbsp cooking oil
Less than ¼ cups of water
1. Peel the potatoes & boil them till cooked. When cooled roughly chop them into pieces.(You can make bigger pieces too because when you mix them all together they will get slightly mushy).Meanwhile when the potatoes are getting cooked chop the onions finely.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or a heavy bottomed pan (you can use non-stick pan as well) and add the chopped onions and sauté them till golden brown.
3. Now add the chilli powder, Sāmbhar powder and the tamarind concentrate and sprinkle (may be a tbsp) just about very little water and mix well. (Don’t add too much water).
4. Now add the boiled and chopped potatoes, salt and mix well till all of it is very well combined. Once mixed check for the salt & spice level & adjust accordingly.
5. Cook it for some 5 to 10 minutes covered on a medium low heat and check in between so that the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom.
6. Serve with rice along side daalitoy or chapathis/rotis.