There are days when I just don’t feel like eating any spicy or rich dish, the next thing that comes to my mind is cabbage upkari or any other upkari with fresh vegetables. It is easy to prepare and doesn’t need much cooking time and also over cooking the cabbage can ruin the texture and taste!
The sizzling panna or tadka gives all the flavors and makes it yet another simple and wholesome meal!
This recipe doesn't have onions, adding a few thinly sliced onions will also be perfect!!
Cabbage thinly shredded about 4 cups
Potato 1 small chopped into small chunks
Cooking oil 2 tsps
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Urad dal 1tsp
Chana dal ½ tsp
Curry leaves about 5 torn into pieces
Asafoetida powder a pinch
Turmeric/haldi powder ¼ tsp
Dhania jeera powder ½ tsp
Green chillies 3 slit
Salt to taste
1. Chop cabbage and potato. Wash and drain the water well.
2. Heat a kadai/pan, add oil. When it’s heated through add mustard seeds, when they start to crackle add urad dal and chana dal and fry for a min or till they turn lightly brown. Be careful not to burn.
3. Add curry leaves, green chillies & asafoetida and fry for a minute. You can right away feel the aromas from asafoetida.
4. Finally add the drained cabbage, potato, dhania jeera powder along with turmeric and stir fry this for a minute or two.
5. Add salt and sprinkle very little water as cabbage releases water whilst cooking.This cooks in a jiff say about 5 mins (approx)
Try not to over cook and the cabbage should be cooked just perfect and crisp!!
Serve with rice & Daalitoy.